Environmental policy and approach
Our approach to environmental stewardship
The BMO ECO5 strategy is an organizational framework that helps us:
- Reduce environmental impacts from our operational activities
- Measure and reduce our company-wide greenhouse gas emissions
- Manage resources in a sustainable manner
- Lower costs
- Gather environmental performance data and publicly report on performance
- Continuously improve our environmental performance
ECO5 is built around five key BMO operational activities that have the potential to significantly impact the environment:
- Energy management: Reducing energy consumption through the implementation of operational efficiencies and building upgrades while increasing our purchase of renewable energy.
- Sustainable transport: Minimizing the environmental impacts of business-related travel through the use of hybrid vehicles, reduced air travel, employee commuting programs and online collaborative tools.
- Sustainable materials: Reducing unnecessary material use while improving the efficiency in the use of materials, including building materials and cleaning products, and through sourcing paper from responsibly-managed forests.
- Waste management: Reducing quantities of waste going to landfill and promoting recycling.
- Sustainable procurement: Integrating environmental and social considerations during the procurement process.
These activities are continually revised to achieve greater environmental performance.