Role of the Ombudsperson
About the Ombudsperson and staff
Ula Ubani is BMO’s Ombudsperson and also oversees Ethics and Conduct. Ula has worked at BMO for over 20 years in a variety of increasingly senior roles and holds a Master of Business Administration from The Rotman School of Management at the University of Toronto.
The team supporting the Ombudsperson has been carefully chosen for their extensive knowledge of, and experience with financial products and services. The Ombudsperson’s Office is dedicated to resolving issues and is not involved in the day-to-day operations of BMO.
The success of the Ombudsperson process is based on fairness, transparency and respect. It requires everyone to have shared responsibilities.
The Office of the Ombudsperson is responsible for:
- Handling customer complaints professionally, efficiently and fairly
- Keeping complainants informed of the office’s progress
- Providing reasons for their decisions
- Treating complainants with respect
Complainants are responsible for:
- Providing the Office of the Ombudsperson with a clear idea of the problem and the solution they want
- Giving the office all of the relevant information the complainant has (or knows about) at the beginning
- Conveying to the office any new facts as they arise or informing the Office if the complainant no longer requires help
- Cooperating with the office
- Treating the members of the office with respect
- Respecting the confidentiality of our process
BMO is responsible for:
- Providing the office with all relevant information about the complaint
- Answering the office’s questions
- Listening to the office’s recommendations
- Responding to the office in a timely manner
Contact the Ombudsperson
If after having been through Steps 1 and 2 of BMO’s dispute resolution process and your complaint remains unresolved, please contact the Ombudsperson.
You may contact the Ombudsperson by mail, fax, email, or phone.
BMO Financial Group Ombudsperson
1 First Canadian Place
P.O. Box 150
Toronto, ON M5X 1H3
1 800 766-8029
1 800 371-2541
*Due to the heightened level of concern related to the spread of novel coronavirus (COVID-19), BMO is taking action to safeguard the health and well-being of our customers, our employees and their families, including limiting access to our offices. Therefore, you may experience a delay in response when submitting concerns via (physical) mail.
**IMPORTANT: Please do not send personal and/or financial information via unsecured email.